Friday, February 18, 2011

Music to My Ears

The sounds of waves crashing along the beach is music to my ears.  And in two short days I will be listening to the most beautiful symphony ever composed while enjoying a cocktail (or ten) on the beaches of the Big Island.  Okay, now I am just bragging and that is not fair to you, my dear readers.  So I apologize.  But hey, since we are on the subject of music, let us talk a little more about it.  That is right, since I am in such a good mood, I have decided to present to you another edition of "Funny Things from the Chief's Past You Might Not Have Known".
Most of you who have gotten to know me recently probably only see the current image of the Chief:  sports fan, college golfer, frat guy, fun-loving partier, the work-hard-play-hard type of guy.  Nothing wrong with that.  And though we have hinted at it in the past, it is time you know something else.  Have you ever watched an episode of Glee?  I have, all of them.  And, for the most part, I have enjoyed them all.  Confused?  It is okay; it is only natural.  But it is time you that Glee is essentially the reincarnation of my high school experience.  That is right, I was a member of a nationally-ranked high school show choir and I loved it . . . jazz hands and all.  I am just going to go ahead and give you a moment to let that sink in  . . .
. . .
To be honest, most of you would be shocked with home competitive things get with show choir (remember, it's a competition and the Chief's in it).  And it was a great way to meet to incredibly attractive girls.  I mean, without it, I would not have joined the college glee club and met my Better Half.  And it certainly did not prevent me from lettering in three sports at the same time.  In fact, it was encouraged.  But my love for music extends well beyond show tunes and cheesy arrangements of current pop hits (though I still have a soft spot in my heart for them)  In fact, during high school I went through a pretty big Nine Inch Nails phase.  I did not dress the part, but I certainly loved everything Trent Reznor produced (which, most recently, includes the score to The Social Network . . . wild, right?)  And to this day, Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots remain two of my all-time favorite bands.  Jar of Flies is one of the few albums I can listen to start-to-finish without wanting to skip a track, and you have not lived until you have seen STP play an all-acoustic set with a giant lava lamp as the back drop.  And that is why I also wanted to draw your attention to this: KROQ's Locals Only Playlist.  If you could all take the time to scroll down to the voting section and type in "Motor Gun Hotel - Pay the Price" in the "Other" box, it would be greatly appreciated.  You see, MGH is a fantastic local band I have gotten to know over the past few years.  It is comprised of a talented guitarist, a phenomenal bassist, and an awesome female drummer.  That is it.  Three members that, together, knock out song after song that sound eerily like a cross between Chains and STP.  I encourage you to check out some of their performances on YouTube.   It is certainly not the "untz, untz, untz" music many of your prefer (myself included these days), but it certainly is worth a listen as you get ready to cut loose this weekend.
So, please go and vote for Motor Gun Hotel so we can get them more airtime down here in Southern California.  And then, once you have voted, come on back and enjoy the entertaining links we have lined up for you.  Or, if you are a strictly untz-untz person, just go ahead and start reading the links now:
  • We should all strive to live the like great Ron Swanson.
  • A must-read for HIV deniers, teleporters, Randy Quaid, train-wreck enthusiasts and fans of quality reportage.  So really, a win for all.
  • Ladies, if your man wrote you a poem for Valentine's Day, I hope he is more of a wordsmith than C.J. Leslie.
  • What? Potential corruption in the BCS? Get right out of town . . .
  • With baseball right around the corner, let us make sure we are not getting ripped off at the stadiums.
  • Whenever ever I start working some place new, I always like to make sure I criticize my new boss right out of the gates.  You know, to make a good first impression.
  • A heart-warming story about a giant insurance company acting like . . . well . . . a giant insurance company. 
  • Ability to receive pictures on cell phone and being under eighteen considered a plus
  • Is this what the Spice Girls meant by "girl power"?
  • Normally, when you read a team shot seven-percent from three-point range, it is not followed with "on one hundred and three attempts."
  • You did not think China restricted its age falsification program to Summer Olympic events, did you? [*shaking head*]
Jimmer Fredette.  [Editor's Note: every now and then I randomly yell out "JIMMER!"  It's fun and always freaks out the people around you.  Try it, you'll feel great afterward, I promise.]  Well, Jimmer-mania has carried over into this NCAA season, and his play has been deserving of the praise.  So we get this week's video portion of the Link Dump started with Jimmer . . . JIMMER!:
  • Would someone please teach me, teach me how to Jimmer?
  • Jimmer Fredette breaks ankles with his crossover.
  • Three-and-a-half minutes of Blake Griffin dunking?  Yes please.
  • Yeah, I like to shoot a little stick.  [Editor's Note: that's what she said . . . wait, what?]
  • Apparently the trick shot craze has spread to quaterbacks and douches soccer goalies.
  • If you are not watching Tosh.0 on Comedy Central, shame. on. you.
  • The current vote stands at Fake: 2, Real: 0.  You be the judge.
  • Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy now has two memorable press conferences.  You all remember the first.  And here is the second.  
  • If you do not know who Keenan Cahill is, you should.
  • Even though we will be dark next, I can guarantee JKL will bring you another quality "Unnecessary Censorship", just like he has this week.
Just a friendly reminder that we will be on vacation all next week.  Look for new and exciting things to start popping up on GameTime, TBD© come March.  In the meantime, have a great week everyone!

No comments: