Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Break from the Norm

I know two posts in one week sets a dangerous precedent, but I am willing to take that chance. But this is a different type of post than others found on GameTime, TBD©. You will not find any wisecracks about celebrity antics, references to teen dramas from the early 90's, or diatribes about the state of my favorite sport franchises. This is just a brief glimpse into the softer side of BAP.

I spent a couple paragraphs in my last post taking jabs at several professional athletes who I believe could stand to act more, for lack of a better word, professional. However, this morning I got a chance to read this article about Chicago Bear's Pro Bowl cornerback Nathan Vasher and his relationship with his mother. Please take the time to read it. It is definitely the type of piece that you would expect to see Jimmy Roberts presenting during NBC's coverage of the Olympics or Sunday morning at Augusta National; but it is a story that can make you believe that the loose cannon professional athlete is the exception, not the norm.

It also reminded me of a blog I published during my amateur days on Myspace, before I opened GameTime, TBD© for business. It was a blog about spending time with my Dad at a Los Angeles Dodgers' game; something small that meant a lot. Because my Dad probably only knows about Myspace from the news, he has never seen the blog; but he is also an avid reader of GameTime, TBD©. I decided to take this opportunity to repost that blog here so he could actually read it.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 - Buy Me Some Peanuts and Crackerjacks

On Monday night I went to the Dodger game with my dad...just [Dad] and I. It was the first time I had the opportunity to hang out with just my dad since I don't know when. Sure, I've had time with just my dad recently, but we were always doing some type of work or chore. This was different. It was great.


I got to thinking about how baseball games used to be. When I was younger going to the game was a big family outing. I tried to keep score but would inevitably get bored by the third inning. Mom was busy trying to limit the amount of sugar I consumed so that I would be able to sleep that night. My dad and I would talk fundamentals of baseball because I was playing baseball and we would generally leave early so I wasn't up too late.

Monday night, it was Louisiana Hot Sausage and beer, multiple beers. We talked politics, my upcoming job, baseball in general, Kings hockey, my new car, and the general tidbits of how life was going. We laughed, we cheered, and we enjoyed every moment of it.

I used to get upset with how hard my dad worked and how much he traveled. But as I look back, I am more thankful then ever. Because my dad worked so hard and traveled so much, he has been able to provide for his family in ways we would have never imagined. And, more importantly, I realize now that he worked so hard because he loves his family so much. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't travel to places we travel, see the sporting events we get to see, and be so close of family as we are.

My dad is getting ready to leave his current job, a job he has worked at for 10 years, and for which he has probably aged about 20. He's not ready for full retirement yet, but he's ready for a few months off before deciding what to do next. I may not know what my dad is planning to do next, but I do know this, there will be more opportunities for my dad and I to hang out, just the two of
us. It's going to be great, and I'm looking forward to it.


I am ready for my close up, Mr. Roberts.

No comments: