Friday, September 25, 2009

Still Got It

It is funny to think how much relationships change over time. Take my relationship with my Bro, for example. Growing up we had your typical older/younger brother, where he asserted his "rights" as older brother quite frequently (you know, as a lawyer, I've read the Constitution and Bill of Rights cover-to-cover, more than once, and I still don't see these "rights" he claims to have had . . . I think I've been duped . . .). As we have grown older, things have changed. For starters, I eventually out grew him, so that took care of the physical advantages he might have had, and although he remains perhaps the smartest person I know, my minds not to shabby, so we are able to have some great conversations now. As it turns out, older brothers can make pretty good friends. The same goes for my Better Half. Our relationship has certainly changed over time, and not just the change in title from girlfriend to fiancĂ©e to Mrs. GameTime, TBD©. I am sure you can imagine that, over the course of seven years together, things change. Yet in those seven years, one thing still remains the same (okay, two, yes I still love her like crazy): I still have the uncanny ability to get that "What the hell are you talking about?" look whenever I want. Case-in-point:

Last night, not long after she had gotten back from catching up with some of her school friends, I proposed a toast, which I tend to go from time to time. She was, I can only imagine, expecting sweet and romantic; instead, she got "To Arthur Guinness, the man who revolutionized the world of real estate." Since you all, my avid readers, are of the same sound mind as me, I am confident you know that yesterday was the 250th Anniversary celebration of the founding of the Guinness brewery at St. James' Gate, Dublin. My Better Half probably knew this too. But having just returned from her "Let's Save the World" club reunion, she was caught a little off guard and, just like clockwork, out popped her famous "What the hell are you talking about?" look (speaking of popping out, a belated congratulations to Nosh and Gosh on the arrival of their incredibly adorable son Mosh). You might find this hard to believe, but I have enjoyed a Guinness or two in my lifetime and, like all things in life I enjoy, I have done a little research on the history of the Guinness brewery. While I will spare you the details on the brewing process, here's one interesting fact for: when Arthur Guinness leased the St. James' Gate brewery to begin brewing his now world famous porters and stouts (mostly stout now-a-days), he signed a . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . 9,000-year lease for £45 per year. Put another way, as of 2008, it would cost you £6,244.83 to purchase something that cost £45 in 1759, or $9,956.76 (US). I cannot even rent a decent apartment in Southern California for $10,000 per year, and some poor schmuck (Mark Rainsford) leased their property to a multi-national company for just that amount. And they have still got it for another 8,750 years.

Well, needless to say, my toast last night had its desired effect. And now, reliving this story, has got me craving another pint (or two) of Guinness (in a bottle . . . BRILLIANT). So, while go track down some people to take a "lawyer's" lunch, here are some things you might have missed from the past week:
  • Need help with your picks for this Sunday? Here is a story about a twitter feed that just might help . . . provide you with hours of entertainment. What? You thought it was going to help you with your picks?
  • Does this mean we can finally start the Matt Leinart is an NFL bust debate?
  • Because the eighty uniform combinations Oregon already had just were not enough.
  • Tiki Mayben really knows how to dish the rock.
  • It was love at first excessively-large bar tab.
  • Raise your hand if your top young prospect is not a murder suspect. Hand down Giants.
  • Rest in peace Tiger Stadium, rest in peace.
  • Insurance contracts say the darnedest things.
  • Muammar al-Qadaffy-duck's secret identity has finally been revealed.
  • Actual quote: "This will make me the chief of my tribe." [Editor's Note: men, prepare to squirm]
  • Now you (yes, you) can scratch (and sniff?) the Nature Boy. Wooooooo! [Update: Now with a commercial.]
  • Well, that really did not go as planned.
  • This week's "Stupid Cops" award goes to (*spins wheel*): the fine folks at the Polk County Sheriffs Department, Lakeland, Florida.
Well, I have rounded up my crew and we are ready to have at it. What can I say, it is Friday and we have all worked too many hours. Unfortunately, it looks like you are still in need of some entertainment, which is why we picked out these clips for your weekly viewing enjoyment:
  • Would you look at that, something exciting did happen at the Lions' game last Sunday.
  • Rainn Wilson and Dwight Howard debate some serious topics. [Editor's Note: poor sound quality, sorry.
  • "I don't want to make fun of him, just a little humor" . . . that we will broadcast on national television.
  • He is the second-coming of Eric Metcalf. Finally!
  • Stage diving into opponent's band ends . . . well . . . just the way we like it.
  • In Russian soccer news: I wonder how this guy's "re-education" is going?
Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: