Friday, January 08, 2010

Off and Running

Happy New Year everyone! The folks here at GameTime, TBD© hope you all had happy, healthy, and safe 2009 holiday season. We certainly did.

About this time of year, all the magazines are telling you how to make 2010 the best year ever. Their first piece of advise is usually to cut down on the New Year's Resolutions, make them more reasonable. Well, the just would not be the Chief's style. No, no. At current count, there are five resolutions, and most of them are the usual resolutions (loss weight, make my Better Half as happy as possible, blah, blah, blah). But on of my resolutions was brought front and center during the first week of 2010. Who could ask for more?

The resolution I am talking about now is this: I would like to see GameTime, TBD© play some role in making the (sports) blog-o-sphere a more responsible arena for the sharing of information to the masses. There is no denying that sports blogs are here to stay and that they have reached the level of mainstream media. Many have the ability to break news or bring stories to more people faster than most normal channels of media. That is why many of the creators of the more popular blogs have been offered positions with more established media outlets (ESPN, SI, etc.). But there is one thing the sports blogs tend to do that established media outlets do not: post news and information with little to no fact checking.

Case in point: if you watched the Fiesta Bowl on Monday night, these ten seconds flashed across your television screen during halftime. Almost instantaneously, the blog-o-sphere was put to action, posting links to the video, creating animated GIFs, and generally having fun at the expense of a girl who seemed to be playing a pretty uninspired cowbell (really, explore the studio space this time). I saw the moment during the telecast and thought nothing of it. I saw the ten-second clip on most of the blogs I visit regularly and thought something just did not seem right; and I was right (she's never even been to Mt. Vesuvius). For the better part of six hours, many posts, hundreds (if not thousands) of emails (I got 5 myself within the first hour from some friends), and probably millions of comments were made about "Sad Cowbell Girl". And believe you me, most of the things people said were not nice.

Yes, I know around these parts we have fun at other people's expense quit frequently; I am not claiming to be some angel. But most of those videos we post are people doing stupid things (and yes, we have more for you today . . . 2010 starts with a bang). I am not trying to say that we should stop people from putting that ten-second clip on YouTube or what not. I am just saying that many of the sports blogs out there need to realize they are part of the mainstream media now. Some people turn to them more than ESPN or CBSSports or SI these days. And yes, I dream of a day when GameTime, TBD© plays a role similar to that (maybe I should consider putting a little more time into it then . . . hey, wait a sec, that's right there at #3 on my resolution list, go figure). So it is time that we all accept a little more responsibility for our actions. Thankfully the Boise St.'s cowbell player is blind, so she will only ever know what people tell her. She will never see those things that have been written about her. But her family will, and so will her friends, and I, for one, do not want to be a part of making anyone feel sad, hurt, or angry (unless they bring it upon themselves by letting someone video tape them doing something stupid and not destroying the evidence immediately thereafter . . . then you totally get what you deserve).

I am sure 2010 is going to be a great year of sports and the bloggers of the world will play a large in that. So I am calling on all of us to make sure we take whatever extra steps necessary to ensure that we are contributing to the greatness, not taking away from it (Fox is going to do plenty of that on its own, they don't need our help). With that, here is my first contribution to 2010:
  • I do not know when this picture of Marisa Miller and Brooklyn Decker was taken . . . and more importantly, I do not care. You. Are. Welcome (assuming hot attractive female blonds are your thing).
  • The title says it all: "10 Fictional Sporting Events We'd Pay Good Money to Attend". [Bonus: includes video.]
  • The NBA would like to remind you that guns do not kill people, gambling debts that lead to people brandishing firearms kill people.
  • Let me see, that makes four career touchdowns and four career arrests. Matt Millan's brilliance astounds me.
  • Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio will interview next week for the head coaching position in Jacksonville. Wait a sec . . .
  • Apparently whales are beaching themselves in Kansas City these days. I did not even realize Kansas City had beaches.
  • Too bad for you, I submitted my resume yesterday morning. Rest assured, Sara Tetzler, your job is safe.
  • Looks like Tennessee will not be fielding very many competitive teams next year.
  • If you take only one thing from this article, let it be that the Baseball Writers Association of American has a Secretary Treasurer. And they wonder why everyone else thinks they are full of themselves.
  • Countless (read: 5) fans will be devastated by this news.
  • Why God, why?
  • Tough break for those of you who took Houston (Lee) High +134. They almost had it.
I think my favorite quote in that last story is the one where the Yates' coach talks about not wanting to be a bad coach. I totally understand where he is coming from . . . not. That guy totally deserves to get punched in the face (I hear Jim Leavitt is available to help me out). Speaking of getting punched in the face:
Well, there you have it. We are officially off and running in 2010. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: