Friday, October 17, 2008

And Then Everything Was Great!

Like most every Friday, I was not a happy camper getting ready for work (though, seeing as I do not camp all that much, I guess I cannot really say what the difference between a happy and unhappy camper is . . . but I digress). As I was begrudgingly collecting my things to walk out the door, I stopped to check my Crackberry to see what emails had trickled in while I was getting ready. And just like that, my friends, it was a great Friday!

I would like to congratulate my friends Mr. and Mrs. Georgetown (collectively "Georgetown") on the arrival of their first child, a happy and healthy baby boy! Andy Katz has confirmed that Jay Bilas is reporting that sources close to GameTime, TBD© have told me the baby boy has not been named after any of the 2006-2007 Georgetown Hoyas who contributed to their epic Final Four run. This is a good thing; this kid is going to have a tough enough life being raised in home that supports the Hoyas and Buffalo Sabres (also the Buffalo Bills, but they don't really bother me that much, so I'll let that one slide . . . plus, I probably shouldn't be blaming this kid for his dad's mistakes, nobody's perfect . . . except me of course). I mean, seriously, throw in being named JeffGreen (one word) and he would be joining me at Dr. Finklestein's by the time his fifth birthday rolls around. That is why when I get called in for babysitting duties (hehe, duties . . . and that, my friends, is why it's more likely my Better Half will get called in and I'll just tag along), bed time stories will center around the great accomplishments of the Los Angeles Kings . . . and once those five minutes are over, I will have to find something else to talk about. And you can be darn (it's not polite to swear in front of the children) sure that for his first birthday, Georgetown Junior will be getting a Kings jersey from me.

So, while I go check-in with the happy parents to see how everything is going, here are some things you might have missed:
  • I probably do not have time for another fantasy football league, so it is a good thing that this one is a little out of my price range . . . and that just makes me want to join it even more.
  • "Ah, the Detroit Lions. They're a Savage Garden CD played on loop, a wet pair of wool socks, a piece of aluminum foil being chomped on by a teenage girl in braces. They're more than just a bad football team. They're harmful to your health." Could not have said it better myself.
  • Philadelphia is cracking down on drunken, rowdy football fans. But who will be at the games then?
  • Michigan football player takes his frustrations out on Michigan hockey player. I know that does not sound very sexy, so I will give you a teaser: "picked up Kampfer and slammed him into the sidewalk." Now we are talking!
  • Don't look now, but Bobby Knight could be throwing chairs at a college near you very soon.
  • You stay classy PETA!
  • If you do not get to talk to the media that often, you might as well make it count. [Bonus: now with video!]
  • It is good to see Scott Boras already has Manny toeing the company line.
  • I misread the title of the article, so I thought I was going to get something on the little people from Willow. It turns out it is an ESPN article actually worth reading . . . if you have got a half an hour to spare.
For your weekly view plessure, we turn our attention to, well, nothing in particular. I have got a few clips that should help you
  • (1) work out any unwanted agression (in honor of our newest Sabres fan arriving safe and sound),
  • (b) feel bad about that youth sports participation trophy you got back when you were 9 years old (anyone else think this kids parents might work for the governing body of Chinese gymnastics?), and
  • (iii) remind you to vote in eighteen days (wait? JT is in this video? I must have been distracted by something in the background . . . )
Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: