Friday, October 31, 2008

No Tricks, Just Treats

I do not know about you all, but I am burned out right now. They are calling the upcoming Presidential election the most important election ever. And to prove it, news outlets are shoving every last little bit of information they can down our throats. And now we have got this "Joe the Plumber" guy out there campaigning too. If you were at the gym at 6:00 a.m. this morning (and seriously, who doesn't love being at the gym at 6:00 a.m.?), you got to see legendary coach Mike Ditka make an appearance at a McCain/Palin rally where Palin was speaking. Here is the thing, I agree that this is an important election . . . in my lifetime for sure, and for at least the last fifty years . . . but I am exhausted from all of this coverage. At this point in time, I do not care so much about who wins, but rather that it will finally be over. That is why Halloween could not have come at a better.

If asked me what my favorite holiday is, I would have to go with Thanksgiving and Christmas because it is a time when my whole family is able to get together and we always have a good time when that happens (see, e.g., every family wedding). And while that answer might seem like the political answer, it is the truth. But believe-you-me, Halloween will always hold a special place in my heart. I mean, how can you not love the one holiday that allows young women between the ages of 18 and 24 to dress up in as little clothing as physically possible without fear of derogatory words and phrases being thrown their way? Thankfully I am still young enough (a spry 27) that it is appropriate (and, in the spirit of all-things GameTime, TBD©) for me to appreciate these things without getting in too much trouble with my Better Half . . . after all, she is amongst those that enjoy the opportunity to let their hair down on this day of ghoulish tomfoolery.

I do not know what you all have planned for the evening, but I hope it allows you to escape from everything that is going on in the world, if only for a night. The GameTime, TBD© household will be throwing an epic shin-dig (which has been deemed a "Politics Free Zone") and I am using it as an excuse for me to leave the office early. So while I get ready to take off early, here are some things you might have missed to help get you through your afternoon:
  • Rick Reilly is not the only one still in awe of John Wooden, and he did not even coach during my lifetime.
  • Not that I needed an excuse to watch more college basketball, but this certainly will help.
  • Mike Singletary's impressive first week as the 49ers head coach just keeps getting impressiver (yes, I did just make that word up . . . that's what we lawyers do, make stuff up).
  • Apparently the Redskins have really mastered their home field advantage.
  • Daly being Daly.
  • In 2014, Alabama could be a pretty cool place to live.
  • Remember when Tyler Hansbrough could have been a Top 5 pick after his freshman year? No, that is not a joke . . . stop laughing . . . seriously . . . you might hurt his incredibly fragile body. (I hope this doesn't affect their rankings).
  • Your a high school football coach and the opposing quarterback is unstoppable. What do you do? Why, cheap shot him while he is doing his other duties (hehehe . . . duties) as the place kicker, of course.
  • Today's episode of "Dude, Time to Move On" is brought to us by James McMahon.
  • Andrew Bynum has 57.4 million reasons to be happy he just turned twenty-one and I have 57.4 million reasons to wonder where I went wrong (I'll tell you: it's when Dad taught me to throw a baseball right-handed even though I'm left-handed . . . curse you!)
  • Trying to read between the lines here, but it looks like Wayne Huizenga will not be voting for Obama.
  • I am in the market for a new snowboard. I wonder if Burton has anything I might enjoy?
It is going to be difficult to follow-up last week's collection of videos I prepared for your viewing pleasure (admit it, you had "Flea Market Montgomery" stuck in your head all weekend . . . I blame myself). To try to follow that up is a daunting task, but I will try my best. So here are some clips for you to enjoy:
  • I love me some Chinese game shows.
  • Fat Guy Dancing! Fat Guy Dancing!
  • If you are interested in quality commercial acting, do not watch this video. If you are interested in Marisa Miller strutting her stuff in short shorts then you probably can not click that link fast enough.
  • Somewhere A-Rod is wondering why Kobe got to be the lead singer of their band.
  • Do as Borat says . . . oh, and what everyone else says too!
Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: