Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Profound Statement of Democracy?

I tried, I promise I did. I even went through the trouble of preparing a post about what it is like to watch the Detroit Lions on a Sunday that I was going to post today to distract me. But I could not bring myself to do it. With Election Day finally here, there are some things I have got to get off my chest. So, against my better judgment, and for ONE day only, GameTime, TBD© goes 100% political (hey, if Curt Schilling can do it, why can't I?).

Now, I am not about to try to convince you to vote for one candidate over the other; it is not my place to do so. Rather, this is just a general discussion about some frustrations I have with the current state of our political system. If you want to have a discussion about who I voted for (in keeping with my tradition of full faith and disclosure, it was McCain), feel free to drop me a line or give me a call and we will do lunch. I am more than willing to discuss my reasoning with you. I am not, however, about to use this site as a soapbox for views about the candidates. I am already risking enough negative comments just by stating who I voted for. If I were to go into a full-fledged point/counter-point, who knows what names I would be called. But if you do want to discuss things with me, make sure you are a prepared, after all I have spent the better part of the past six months having nightly debates with my Better Half, which segues nicely to my first point (isn't nice how it worked out like that?).

I have no problem with people who agree or disagree with me on voting for one candidate over the other. We are all entitled to our own opinions and I will never fault you or think less of you as a person simply because we do not agree. Your right to your own opinion goes beyond our Constitution. Is our right to our own opinion not one of the very foundations by which we asserted our independence from Britain? "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." As my buddy Barnes put it yesterday, "ain't no thang" if you agree or disagree with me over the issues. So if you want to talk about the election, let us talk about the issues, and not the other things. I feel bad for people who are not voting for Obama simply because he is black and/or think he is a Muslim, or the people who do not think a woman is cut out to be Vice President. Even the discussion of "The Bradley Effect" playing a role in today's election makes me sick. How have we, as a nation, not moved past these things already? How is it that we still judge people by their race, gender, or religious beliefs (and when did I become such an idealist? Man, the Republican party is going to revoke my privileges)? So I will talk to you about the issues, and only the issues. But like I said, I have gone twelve rounds with my Better Half, multiple times, and I am still standing (and, amazingly enough, still married to her . . . it's magic). So make sure you bring your "A" game. There is also one other requirement for me to talk with you . . .

You also must have, or be planning to, vote. If you are eligible to vote, and do not, I do not care what you have to say. You blew your chance. How many articles have you read were someone says something like "I am voting because this election will mark a significant change in the lives of all Americans"? We interrupt this rant for some late breaking news: EVERY ELECTION MARKS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN THE LIVES OF ALL AMERICANS. Here in California, they are worried that they might not have enough printed ballots because voter turnout is expected to reach 80%. I can not decide what is worse, the fact that we are unprepared for such a high voter turnout, or the fact that we are excited that voter turnout is going to reach only 80%. Why is it that the 2008 Presidential Election is any different from the mid-term elections we will have in two years? Yet I can guarantee you that voter turnout in two years will be significantly lower than this election. As an avid GameTime, TBD© reader, I know you have read the United State Constitution. So you know that the Framers of this great nation made the Executive Branch of the government the weakest of the three branches, because we were trying to move away from the royalist model that put absolute power in just one place, and they made the Legislative Branch, or the "People's Branch", the most powerful. Since we live in a Republic (wait, you didn't think we lived in a Democracy did you?), the representatives we elect carry most of the power. So why then are mid-term elections treated like the ugly step-son? Since I turned 18, I have not missed a single opportunity to vote, not one. I have voted in three different presidential elections, three gubernatorial elections, including a recall, five school board elections, five congressional elections, and I have voted on a countless number of (stupid) propositions (usually "no" . . . but this is not the time for me to get into California's problems). I vote . . . even when my vote does not count.

Confused about that last statement? I cast my one vote for McCain, yet it will not impact this election. I cast my vote for McCain, yet everyone knows California's fifty-four electoral votes are going to Obama, just as they went to Kerry, Gore, and Clinton in years past. Somewhere in Indiana, Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, and Virginia, however, people are celebrating the value of their vote. That is the "beauty" of the Electoral College; first to 270 wins. This, I believe, is why voter turnout remains much lower in the United States than it is in other countries. This, in turn, creates a perpetual cycle of discontent with our government while making no effort to change things, until things get so bad we blame everything on one person (even things that aren't his fault), all-the-while ignoring the failures of the people whose job it actually is to take care of us, which results in a knee-jerk reaction against anyone and everyone even remotely associated with the national "villain", and gives nearly absolute authority to one party. Sure they might reduce the national debt, even while increasing government spending to never-before-seen levels, but that is only because they are going to tax us like we have never been taxed before (oops . . . started to get a little soapboxy there . . . my bad).

By now you are probably wondering why I am wasting your time. While, for starters, I hope you do not actually feel like I have wasted your time. More importantly, though, I am frustrated with everything that has gone on with this election. This campaign has gone on longer than any previous campaigns, and it has gotten more coverage than any previous campaigns. But are we really going to be better off because of it? Both candidates are promising you that if they are elected they will bring change to Washington because they know that is what you want to hear. And I am tired of it because, here is the thing: this one, single election is not going to change a thing. Our nation is facing serious issues, but these are not new issue. We face these issues year-in and year-out. This is not the first economic recession our nation has dealt with; this is not the first time a person's civil liberties have been attacked; this is not the first time we have been in an unpopular conflict. So why can all of our candidates get away with making it seem like it is? Only when we begin to demand more from all of our elected officials, not just the President, will things start to change. Only when every election, for every elected office, is as hotly contested as this year's Presidential election, will things start to change. It is time we demand that our public officials do there job or get of the way of those people who will. Do that, my dear readers, and I promise things will actually change.

Thus endth the rant.

1 comment:

nro said...

you practically HAD to go political... monday night football did, too! i agree with you wholeheartedly about the ridonkulousness of election coverage.

i wonder if the gov't offered a tax break to people if they would turn out to vote? i mean, people seemed to be psyched about the free grande from starbucks, so what about a hundred dollar tax discount? how about a $25 visa gift card? OR... (crazy thought here) how about the right to choose their future? nah, that can't possibly be enough...

my favorite election quote is from an old dude propped up by his walker leaning into the camera a couple weeks ago (i think it was for the deadline of voter registration), telling "youngsters to GET THEIR BUMS OFF THE COUCH AND VOTE". awesome.

i have my sticker (don't drink coffee, so no free starbucks for me), and while i filled in the other circle for president (so i guess i don't agree WHOLEheartedly, just MOSTheartedly), i DO agree that is our choice to vote for whomever we want... in all important elections (which, yes, is ALL of them). we can still be friends. that is what is so beautiful about this country. (cue star spangled banner music).

which MIGHT mean that i have to respect (not in a "look up to" respect meaning, but in a "put up with" definition) the crazy media coverage. BUT (here is the best part) - that also allows me (and you and you and you) to complain about it!