Friday, November 21, 2008

Ah, Memories . . .

Most people out there think that the day law students dread most is the start of their state's Bar Exam; but they would be wrong. The day law students dread most is, at least in California, today: Bar Exam results day. In just a mere six hours, California Bar Exam takers will overflow the state bar's website with traffic as they anxiously type in their name and exam code. What awaits them is one of two screens: (1) This name does appear on the July 2008 pass list; or (b) This name does not appear on the July 2008 pass list. Bad grammar aside, one word is all you need to look for. Considering the fact that most people are three . . . neh, seven . . . sheets to the wind by the time they are check their score, that one word is hard to spot. Throw in the fact that at least one person you know is going to think they failed because they mistyped their number, and you have the makings for one crazy 30-minute period.

I enjoy days like today. Not because I am a sick and sadistic person who likes to watch his friends suffer through the last hours of waiting (you can't imagine how it feels counting down to results first in months, then weeks, then days, and, finally, hours . . . I know more than a few people who teetered on the brink of insanity). Rather, I enjoy it because it allows me to think back to the day I got my results. A good friend, and law school classmate, was getting married in New Jersey the weekend bar results came out for me. My Better Half (who had a harder time dealing with the wait than I did) and I flew out to visit some other friends on Thursday, and spent all of Friday wandering the streets of New York City while my friends were at work. Since I was back east, results would not be posted until 9:00 pm, which means I had plenty of time to jump right past seven sheets, ultimately hitting about twenty-two sheets by the time 9:00 pm rolled around.

So there I was, at an Italian restaurant waiting for a mafia don to get knocked off, having drinks (oh, and some dinner) with my Better Half and friends when the clock struck nine. I calmly explained to my friends that there was no rush, I would check when we got back to their place, we should all just enjoy dinner (which, I should mention, my Better Half was not doing). One of my friends offered up their Treo as a way for me to check and, while I first declined, the twenty-seventh adult beverage I had consumed (it's always the 27th that jumps up and bites you) seized control of my brain and I agreed to check right there, in the restaurant, in front of my four friends, my Better Half, and approximately seventy-five strangers. Needless to say, I passed. It took me a while to realize the screen had switched to the results, I my ability to read was at about a sophomore level, but with the help of my Better Half I was able to confirm that my name did, in fact, appear on the July 2006 pass list.

So, while my friends are anxiously watching the clock tick closer to 6:00 pm, and while you all are anxiously watching the clock tick closer to Happy Hour, here are some things you might have missed:
  • It is always nice to know that integrity is alive and well in at least one professional sport.
  • Pete Carroll? A whiner? Get right out of town.
  • Former Bucs cheerleader arrested for what we here at GameTime, TBD© like to call a normal Saturday night (with bonus glamorific mug shot).
  • It was only a matter of time before people started comparing the the 2008 Lions to the the 1976 Buccaneers.
  • Come for the headline, stay for the article (or don't, your choice).
  • I can not decided what is worse, the fact that there is a Paternoville Coordination Committee or that said Committee thinks (drunk) college kids are going to be affected by sub-freezing temperatures.
  • At some point you have got to ask yourself, exactly how badly do I need this thirty dollars?
  • The Fresh Prince used to live right down the street from my high school but he never showed up for a pep rally. Hmm, must be the magical power of Tony Romo.
  • Speaking of Romo, I think Cowboys fans are going to start questioning his decision making capabilities after he chose to spend two hours in a dark room with a homeless guy instead of Jessica Simpson.
  • You stay classy New York Yankees.
  • Eri Yoshida wants to follow in the footsteps of the "great" knuckleballer Tim Wakefield . . . with only a few minor differences (ironically enough, winning not one of them).
As for your weekly viewing pleasure, we have a nice selection of videos, several of which help show just how I felt after UCLA lost to Michigan last night:
  • Here is a tip, maybe you should not stand so close to the sideline on a throw in.
  • Working out the BCS rankings for Week 3 and Week 4.
  • For my male readers (and female readers who might swing that way), a look at why the Denver Nuggets' off-the-court entertainment is more enjoyable than the entertainment on the court.
  • Oh, the joys of a father who desperately wanted a son, but got a daughter.
  • Twenty reasons gymnastics is fantastically-awesome.
Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: