Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Turkey Day!

Can some one please tell me when we stopped wishing people a happy Thanksgiving and started wishing them a happy turkey day? I mean, I know I just did that, but I am trying to make a point here. Have our lives become so distraught that we really do not have anything to be thankful for and, thus, must rejoice only in the fact that we get to eat a lot of turkey? As you may recall from the early, pre-awesome banner pic days of GameTime, TBD© (read: 2006), there are a lot of things to be thankful for around the GameTime household.

Well, as I mentally prepare myself for the tomorrows food-a-thon (somehow, I got put in charge of bringing vegetables and dip to snack on . . . thus, implying that some one might actually eat vegetables on Thanksgiving), and as I look back on the year that was, I realize I have a lot to be thankful for. For example, both my Sister and Sister-in-Law recently announced that they are expecting (they, didn't clarify exactly what they were expecting, but they seemed to know exactly when they were expecting it . . . when are women going to learn that they need to be more specific?). My Sister is expecting whatever it is she is expecting sometime around May 12, 2009, which, in turn, resulted in the following conversation with my Brother-in-Law:

Me: So, May 12th, eh? [Every now and then I reach out to my non-existent Canadian roots.]
BIL: Yeah, pretty exciting.
Me: Well, what are you going to do when the Sharks are playing in the Stanley Cup finals?
BIL: I figure I really only have to be there for the actual delivery, so I'm not too concerned about it.
Me: Good point.
BIL: Plus, unless the NHL decides to give the Sharks a bye all the way to the Western Conference finals, I won't have to worry about them playing past the 2nd round.
Me: At least your team gets to play in the 2nd round.

Obviously, my Sister was not very pleased with this conversation, even if we were joking. But that is just how our minds work. You give us a date and we can come up with a reason why some sports-related event might get in the way; I am not proud of this, it is just how our minds work. It is a curse.

I am also thankful for all the support all of you, my avid readers, continue to give. Since we only have a three-day work week, there will not be a
Link Dump this week. But that does not mean that those of you who are not traveling today do not need a little entertainment to help get you through your (un)productive Wednesday (that's a whole lot of negatives . . . I'm not sure I even understand what I just said). And believe-you-me, entertainment is what I have for you. It may only be one video, but I believe I may have stumbled upon something that is the video equivalent to pure gold. My Better Half was having a rough day yesterday, so I showed her a sneak preview. After watching, she asked me two questions: (1) were all athletes of the 1980s homosexuals? and (b) how did I become such a die-hard sports fan if I had to deal with things like this? I, naturally, responded: (1) Dude, it was THE 80s! (speaking of the 80s, haven't you always wondered what the end of The Shawshank Redemption would be like set to an 80s-style montage?) and (b) we did not have YouTube back then.

So, without further adieu, I present to you five minutes and fifty-seven seconds of uninterrupted sexual innuendo brought you by the artist-formerly-known-as the Los Angeles Rams.

Good luck getting this one out of your head for the rest of the day!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Talk to you next week.

No comments: