Friday, October 10, 2008

Let's Get Dialed-In

Can someone please explain to me when and how "dialed-in" became a catch phrase for an athlete's performance? It does not make any sense to me. I mean, I get that it is used to describe an athlete who is "running on all cylinders" or "in the zone" (two more great catch phrases that I can't hear enough), but I do not understand how someone landed on "dialed-in" as an appropriate adjective.

Take, for example, my session at the driving range yesterday evening. The only mat available was uneven, hard, and next to a four-year-old smacking balls left and right across the bow of golfers hitting around him. While his father was getting frustrated at him for not swinging the way he was taught, this kid was having more fun just swinging away than I have seen anyone have at the driving range (myself included) in a long time. When I took my first swing and knocked my 9-iron right out where I was aiming, my new friend simply turned and said "Nice shot!". Thereafter, I was stroking my short irons wherever I wanted them to go. While I was a little loose with my long irons and woods, had an announcer been doing the play-by-play of me at the driving range (hmm . . . play-by-play of people at the driving range, I may be on to something here . . . I smell Emmy), he would have said I was "dialed-in" with my short irons (and, thankfully, there were no signs of the "s" word to be found).

Now, there are three observations I have for you as a result: (1) golfing next to this four-year-old boy was exactly what I needed heading into my tournament this weekend because he reminded me that, in the end, golf is supposed to be fun; (b) "dialed-in" makes no sense as a sports-related catch phrase (but I sure was "dialed-in" to that conference call this morning . . . hello? hello? is this thing on? testing, testing . . .); and (iii) I applaud you if you were able to get through that last paragraph without a "that's what she said" because there is no greater game than golf for blatant sexual innuendos (in-her-end-ohs . . . baZing!). Regardless, I hope you will find that I am "dialed-in" for this week's Link Dump. Here are some things you might have missed:
  • I vowed to stay on top of the University of Idaho cheerleaders and their uniform "controversy" and I am happy to report that their new uniforms have arrived and they are clearly less provocative (Kelly, could you give us a cheer? Thanks!).
  • Speaking of cheerleaders, apparently they are as much a part of growing up in America as blueberry pie and drive-in movies . . . wait, when was this article written, 1950? And what does that have to do with catastrophic injuries?
  • A little heads up to all my Philadelphia readers (anyone? anyone?): the "most popular hockey mom in America" is coming to a Philadelphia Flyers' game near you.
  • This article pretty much cements my third point above, and all you have to do is read the title and first line.
  • Steve Williams donated how much? I think its time I strongly consider becoming a professional caddy.
  • We should be hearing about an outbreak of pregnant nurses at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in about 3 months.
  • Hey, my Lions finally got a win.
  • Apparently basing a movie on "a true story" does not require that you actually tell the true story.
  • "Naked van"? I should have been in the band.
  • With the "Ray-hawk" craze sweeping through Tampa (and getting 11-year-olds suspended), women not willing to cut their hair have found a reasonable substitute . . . I guess.
  • I will trade you my James Tumlinson rookie card for your Richard Alley straight up.
Man, I really nailed those links. I was totally "dialed-in". Someone get me a Gatorade so I can replenish my electrolytes. As for the rest of you, here are a few short clips for your weekly viewing pleasure:
Have a great weekend everyone (and wish me good luck)!

No comments: