Friday, June 05, 2009

Back In The Game

Sorry for last week's lack of a Link Dump (say that ten times fast). Believe you me, there are few things in this world the Chief looks forward to more than a weekend of forced interaction with his entire firm. Anywho, we are back in the game this week.

If you did not notice, the Los Angeles Lakers are back in the NBA Finals. What is that you say? You did notice? My guess is that the eleventy-billion window flags gave it away. Is there anything more annoying than a car with a Lakers window flag? Why yes, a car with a Lakers
window flag on both rear windows. Two weekends ago, when I driving home from Palm Springs, I was behind a car that had two window flags on its rear window. Predictably, one of them broke off and hit my car. For a split second, I felt like running the car off the road (not mine, hers . . . it's always women . . . ), but I thought that would be letting the driver off too easy. Instead, I took solace in thought of her reaction when she reached her destination, only to discover one of her beloved window flags had broken off. Probably not a good night to be that girl's main squeeze (though, having seen her, it begs the question: is there ever a good night?).

But more annoying than window flags, is the entitlement complex most fans and the media have about "their" Lakers. They made it this far, so the championship deserves to be theirs; it is as if Boston beating them last year is the greatest travesty of the past twenty years. How are the Lakers not as hated as the Yankees? Lakers fans are just as arrogant. I mean, Orlando has made it this far, why are they not entitled to it? For starters, they clearly have the hotter cheerleaders, and you know that is worth something . . . at least in my book. I know last night's Magic performance does not help my point any, but I do not think Orlando is just going to roll over (I hope). I think they will make a series out of this yet.

Do not get me wrong, the atmosphere in Los Angeles is always great when the Lakers make the Finals, and I hope the Lakers win (after all, I can watch the parade from my office). But lets give the other guys some credit . . . and put away the damn window flags.

So, while I stare out my office window, counting window flags on the passing cars for the rest of the afternoon (if numbers actually go that high), here are some things you might have missed:
  • Apparently you can "perfect your game" with Anna Kournikova. I would rather just bid for that date with May Anderson . . . after all, my game is already perfect.
  • Twenty-seven points? That is about twenty-seven too many if you ask me.
  • Remember those problems with the Phoenix Coyotes we talked about a few weeks ago? Well, I never, ever, ever would have seen this coming. Ever. Shocking.
  • Tough decisions must be made in these tough economic times.
  • Simmons doing what Simmons does best . . . ball-washing the Red Sox of course. What did you think I meant?
  • So, let us see now, looks like all this kid needs to do now is break every MLB record . . . those expectations should not be tough to meet.
  • Thankfully Deadspin took the time to (1) track all of SI's "Chosen Ones" and (B) track the moonshot.
  • Danica Patrick says what baseball players knew fifteen years ago, takes heat.
  • Sosa has hall of fame induction speech all ready to go . . . apparently forgetting that one must be inducted to give said speech.
  • "You don't even see that in tee ball." Well played, sir. Well played.
  • Memphis probes alleged violations about as well as it shoots free throws.
  • I love you Golden State, please [don't] draft me.
  • Does that come with a happy ending?
  • What are the chances that Brett Favre reads soccer news?
Boy, I do not know about you, but I am still reeling from that Gretzky news (fifty-seven, fifty-eight, sixty). That is just totally unbelievable (sixty-eight, sixty-nine, seventy). Regardless, let us move on to the more important stuff (eighty-five, eight-six, ninety).
  • "And the pigeon is no more" . . .
  • . . . which reminds me, congrats to Randy Johnson on his 300th . . . win that is.
  • In honor of the upcoming SBC movie, Bruno, here is one of the best Ali G clips of all time (or you could just go and check out the thirteen greatest Bruno moments from the show . . . slightly NSFW).
  • Ouch . . . that about sums it up.
  • From the Vault: what is that noise?
I think my favorite part of that Randy Johnson video (one hundred ten, one hundred eleven) is the catcher's reaction. Just watch how he bails out of there.

Have a great weekend everyone (one hundred thirty-three, one hundred thirty-four)!

No comments: