Friday, October 09, 2009

It Has All Been Building to This . . .

. . . three days, 63 holes (I'm such a slut), lots of money. Last year, I was invited to a golf tournament started by one of the partners of my firm and his friends, which has lasted about twenty years now. It runs Saturday through Monday, in which you play eighteen holes on Saturday, twenty-seven on Sunday, and eighteen more on Monday (if you can still swing your club by that point . . . HEY-OH!). The whole thing is handicap adjusted, and matches you and a teammate (this year I'm bringing my good buddy Coop, Coop-a-loop) for all the money. Even better, we get to play three great courses: Rancho San Marcos (Saturday), Alisal Ranch (Sunday), and Sandpiper (Monday). Do not be jealous . . . okay, be a little jealous.

I have been looking forward to this weekend for the past fifty-one weekends. You see, it was at this tournament last year (my first invite) that I discovered my swing had too many flaws to make it in the long run. My game went all David Duval circa-2002 on me and I pretty much embarrassed myself and my buddy Hizzle the whole weekend. I realized my swing had become a house of cards, and the more I tried to fix it myself, the more hitches and hiccups I put that served as little more than temporary patches. I never thought about giving up the game, and for the first time in a long time, I did not just go by a new club to make me feel better. I found myself a golf teacher and, over the past five months, I have torn my swing down and built it back up. I may not be scoring as well as I would like to heading into this weekend (my handicap is the highest it has been in over a decade), I know that comes mostly from only having played two rounds in the past three months. As I get out there more, I know more scores will come down as I remember all of my course management skills. However, I am confident going into this weekend because my ball striking (Matt Holliday knows a thing or two about ball striking) is back to where it was in college and I am hitting the ball longer and straighter (for the most part) than I may ever have. Since the tournament is handicap adjusted, the scoring will take care of itself. Yes, my short game still needs a lot . . . nay . . . A LOT of work (hence the not scoring well), but that will come with more time spent on the course (and less time putting from the rough . . . HEY-OH!). More importantly than all that though, I have remembered how much fun golf actually is; I remember why I fell in love with the game in the first place. So now I have focused, confident, and ready to hand it to three challenging course (read: get it handed to me), all with a smile on my face.

Are you still with me? I know that is not the most entertaining
Link Dump introduction we have ever written here at GameTime, TBD©, but what can I say, I am excited. If you made it this far, we appreciate you sticking around and would like to reward you. Here are some things you might have missed:
  • Friday Night Lights, the best show you (or anyone else for that matter) are not watching, returns October 26th on DirecTV's The 101. A cast easy on the eyes does not hurt either.
  • Speaking of easy on the eyes, Esquire went and did this. Gentlemen, you. Are. Welcome.
  • [We interrupt our Link Dump for some non-sports-related news.] What do you do when you have your Miss Teen Louisiana crown striped after a pot bust (note to self, remember to not leave identifying items behind when pulling the old dine-and-dash trick)? This of course. [We now return to our regularly scheduled Link Dump.]
  • Let me see, that is three more medals for the United States and one gold for New Zealand.
  • Last night was a tough night for St. Louis fans all around.
  • Mike Hamrick is just living the dream.
  • You were not the only one to miss the major storyline in this past Monday's MNF game.
  • Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em.
  • Good news Romosexuals, Tony can count to four.
  • Ron Artest politely asks blog writer [Editor's note: not me] to fellate a certain unmentionable.
  • The Nationals should give this guy season tickets or something.
  • "They wouldn't let me play on the Pro Tour anymore." "Ah, I'm sorry. Because you're black?" "Hell no! Damned alligator BIT my [arm] off."
  • Sometimes the headline writes itself.
  • If you thought the Madden Curse was bad, wait until you read about the Lakefront Marathon Curse.
Well, it is hard to deny, I am in a great mood right now. I have a three-day weekend ahead of me just so I can golf. It does not get much better than that. But since I know not all of you are as lucky as I am right now, I feel it is only appropriate we provide you with only the finest videos for your weekly viewing enjoyment. Let us say we call it a special gift to you, our dedicated readers, because the Chief is feeling it today.
Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: