Wednesday, October 21, 2009

About That Preview

[Editor's Note: Fore score and, roughly, seven years ago, The Chief set out to write a season preview for his beloved Los Angeles Kings. One draft turned into two, two turned in five, and I think he lost all sense of reality somewhere around draft thirty-seven. Yes the season is now nine games old, but that has not stopped him. So, finally, we present to you the Kings' season preview . . . yes, some references maybe a little dated, but do not blame the messenger.]

It has been a while since we have been able to provide our avid readers with some original content; the type of witty banter you have all grown to love. Lucky for you, a perfect storm of events occurred and have left me with some time. So I thought I would take advantage of this opportunity to get back into the saddle.

For those regular readers out there (you're still there right? Hello? Testing . . . testing . . . 1, 2, 3. Is thing on?), you know how big a fan of
Saved by the Bell I am. For those of you stumbling across my little corner of the worldwide web for the first time, I will sum it up for you in one word: ginormous. I could not get enough of it growing up . . . hell . . . I still can not get enough. I do not care how many times I have seen an episode, if Preppy, Screech, Kelly, Lisa, "I'm So Excited", and Abnormally Cruel are on the screen, I am watching. I watched the high school years on Saturday mornings (yes, even their second senior year) and the college years when it went primetime (would you look at that . . . Professor Zolaski is in this episode of NCIS I'm watching . . . told you too much time . . . the perfect storm). When Zack and Kelly finally got hitched, I was watching (in my brother's dorm with him and his roommates).

I was such a big fan, I even tuned into
SBTB: The New Class. Believe you me, it takes a big fan to sit through those episodes. The story lines were not as enjoyable, the "escapes" never as funny, and the women not as attractive (though Natalia Cigliuti certainly has grown up nicely . . . how you doin'?). Regardless, I was there. Every Saturday morning. Still a fan. What can I say, I am loyal to a fault.

My loyalty to the Los Angeles Kings is much the same. Not long after my family moved to Southern California, a guy named Gretzky rolled into time. You may have heard of him. His golden locks were not all that different from Zack Morris's hair (pre-
The College Years . . . MPG, what were you thinking?). With "The Great One" in town, life was good for us Kings fans (Malibu Sands good), culminating with a trip to the Stanley Cup finals. But then Bruce McNall got into some legal trouble, had to sell the team, Gretzky got traded for three hockey sticks and a bag of peanuts, and the new class arrived. And for a while, things were not so great. Yet there I was, a fan nonetheless; still telling Mom before every season "They're going to be good this season; this is their year." No matter how bad it got (oh, it got bad), I was still going to or watching games. There was a glimmer of hope during the reign of Murray I (we already had a better Bayside, I just didn't know it 'til now), but he was the scapegoat for poor decision made at the top. And then there were the wasted Crawford that make me nauseous just thinking about them. But Dean Lombardi had a plan (a reunion if you will), has stuck to that plan, and last year saw the promising beginning of Murray II's reign. Though they faded at the end of the season, a sign of a young team, the Kings were in the playoff hunt for much of the year and showed improvement. That is why, when asked that annual question by Mom, I joyfully proclaimed "They're going to be real good this year; I guarantee playoff hockey."

The 2009-2010 NHL season is going to be a good one for the Los Angeles Kings. They have a lot to build on from last season. Murray II brought a defense-first mentality and the results were impressive. Last year the Kings allowed the fourth fewest shots per game (28.1), and ranked eleventh in goals-against-average (2.76 per game) and goals allowed (226). Their penalty kill, which finished dead last in 2007-2008, improved to seventh overall (82.9%) [
Editor's Note: never mind that they're dead last after 10 games thus far this season]. But with the defensive focus, the offense struggled and registered the third-fewest goals in the league (207 or 2.52/game). Most notably, however, the Kings were the third youngest team in league last season. They have a nucleus of players under the age of twenty-six: Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Drew Doughty, Jack Johnson, Jonathon Quick, Wayne Simmonds, Oscar Moller, and Matt Greene, just to name a few. The biggest surprise of the year was clearly Drew Doughty, the Kings first-round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft (2nd overall). He registered twenty-seven points (6 goals, 21 assists) in eighty-one games played. Paired with veteran Sean O'Donnell, Doughty showed marked improvement throughout the year. With this core of young players returning, there is plenty of reason to be optimistic . . . but there is more.

Lombardi made two crucial off-season acquisitions I believe will dramatically improve this team. The first, a trade with the Colorado Avalanche that brought Ryan Smyth (yes, with a "y") over to Los Angeles. Smyth gives the Kings something they have not had for a long time (ever?), a player who makes his living in front of the net, making life miserable for the opposing goaltender. His presence should open up the ice more for players like Kopitar, allowing him to use his phenomenal offensive skills more consistently. [
Editor's Note: would you look at that, 16 points (8 goals and 8 assists) through 10 games for Kopi . . . and Smyth's 14 points (6 goals and 8 assists) aren't too shabby either.] Additionally, he will provide an important veteran leadership role for the forwards, much like O'Donnell has done for the defense. Speaking of defense, the second acquisition of importance was the signing of Rob Scuderi, who helped lead the Pittsburgh Penguins to its Stanley Cup victory last season. [Editor's Note: "This is Rob Scuderi. I didn't come to L.A. to finish second." Love that attitude.] Scuderi adds another veteran defensive-minded defenseman to compliment the Kings' arsenal of young, offensive-minded defensemen. [Editor's Note: single-handedly saved two goals last night against the Stars.] Mark my words, these two acquisitions will be the most-talked about acquisitions in the league by the time the season comes to an end.

As for last year's breakout player, I may or may not have missed the mark a little bit. Okay, I was way off. Brian Boyle did not even finish the season with the Kings, shipped off to the Rangers in a trade deadline move. That is a little embarrassing on my part. I hope to do better this season, but my breakout pick is a little risky. Look for Teddy Purcell to be the breakout player for the Kings this season. Purcell has good size (6' 3", 202 lbs), great speed, and great hands. Purcell has scored in buckets for the Kings' minor league affiliate in Manchester the past two season, but his scoring touch has not transferred to the NHL during is brief stints with the Kings over that time. I see that changing this season and I am predicting a twenty-plus goal season for Purcell. [
Editor's Note: 2 goals, 1 assist through 10 games . . . it's a start.] Of course, there is always the chance he will not perform and either be sent back to Manchester or shipped off to another team. So this goes out to you Teddy: do not prove me wrong, please.

Last, but certainly not least, is the big question going into every season for the past ten years: what will the Kings' goaltending be like. It has been the position that has plagued the Kings the most of my years as a fan. Well, I am happy to stay it is not as big of a question this season. Last season, Jonathan Quick came out of nowhere to post a respectable 21-18-2 record in forty-four games, with a 2.47 goals-against-average and .914 save percentage. Quick was one of the main reasons the Kings stayed in the playoff hunt late into the season and comes into this season as the clear cut number one goalie. He will be backed up by Erik Ersberg, who managed an 8-11-5 in twenty-eight games with a 2.65 goals-against-average and .900 save percentage. Together they are a pair of goalies capable of keeping the Kings in every game. And do not think I have forgotten about Jonathan Bernier, the Kings' first-round selection in 2006 (11th overall), who has all the makings of a franchise goalie and will get a full season of experience down at Manchester after spending the previous seasons in junior hockey. Do not be surprised if the Kings move Ersberg sometime during the season and we see Bernier serving as back up. This will be his team sooner than later.

Which brings us to the final question: where will the Kings finish the season? Will it be another season of
SBTB: The New Class or will we finally get the original cast reunion we have been waiting for? As I told Mom, the Kings' are going to be real good this season, [Editor's Note: 6-4-0 through 10 games, tied for 1st in the Pacific with Dallas and Phoenix . . . What? The Coyotes? . . . It's early.] and that means I will be seeing all of you at the Staples Center in mid-to-late-April when the Kings are busy eliminating the some poor, unsuspecting team from the Stanley Cup playoffs. Will they finally raise the Cup this season? Don't be silly, baby steps . . . that comes next year.

No comments: