Friday, February 12, 2010

Glorious!

Oh, hello there. We sincerely apologize for GameTime, TBD© being inexplicably silent last Friday. We do not really have a good excuse for our error unless you count outright stupidity as a good excuse. The Chief was up in San Francisco to celebrate one of his buddy's thirtieth birthday (welcome to the "Dirty Thirties" Coov) and apparently got the "publish post" and "save now" button confused after putting the final touches on the Link Dump. As such, the post sat silently somewhere in the Internet world instead of being proudly displayed for the world to see. Since that stuff is now outdated (except, of course for some of the video clips), we move on as if nothing happened. Oh, wait, nothing did happen . . . so I guess we just move on.

What do you all have planned for the President's Day/Valentine's Day weekend? Valentine's Day falling on a long weekend is really a lose-lose for us men. Not only are women amped up for Valentine's Day, but now they want a whole weekend out of it. Yes, I am taking my Better Half away for the weekend because she deserves a quiet, romantic weekend of just the two of us. Just the two of us and twenty-four-hour-a-day coverage of THE OLYMPICS! Put your patriotic cap on, cause it is time to celebrate America's dominance in all thing sports for the next two weeks (except the biathlon . . . which is funny when you consider we are one of the few countries that pretty much encourages people to own guns).

As I am sure you recall from my ramblings about the 2008 Summer Olympics, I love me some me Olympics. And my love for the Olympics has grown even more since NBC started using its family of networks for round-the-clock coverage back during the 2000 Summer Olympics. I mean who does not want to stay up until two in the morning watching Team Equestrian Jumping on Bravo? More importantly, during CNBC's mid-day coverage of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, I truly discovered the sport of curling, and my life has never been the same because of it. I scheduled my "studying" around all things curling that year, and it was worth it. I mean, it is chess on ice with brooms; UH-Mazing! How can you not love a sport in which the object is to "put the stone in the house"? Short-track speedskating? Giant Slalom? Who cares. Kari Erickson was trying to skip the women's team to the first United States medal in curling . . . ever. While she might have fallen short, she paved the way for skip Pete Fenson to lead his men's team to a bronze medal at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, which I watched, because I had yet again conveniently scheduled my law school "studying" around NBC's Coverage yet again. While the Winter Olympics might not garner the same excitement as the Summer Olympics (not having any snow in Vancouver isn't helping this year's Olympics any), I still get equally excited. Though it may sound like I am waxing poetic, here is why: because for two weeks, no matter how terrible things are with economy, or what is going on in the Middle East, or what evil empire I am denying insurance coverage to, we set aside our differences and celebrate accomplishments of people from around the world. It is when Bob Costas puts on his sweater, sits by the fire, and tells us about the hardships that many of these athletes have overcome to make it. And maybe, just maybe, this will be the year he lets us in on the secret of why Americans suck at the Biathlon (seriously people, it's skiing and shooting . . . what's the big deal?).

So, while I check out the event schedule for the next two weeks, and plan my "work" accordingly, here are some Olympic and non-Olympic related things you might have missed from the past week.
  • Marisa Miller was here, there, and everywhere during last week's Super Bowl festivities in Miami, and the world is a better because of it.
  • If you are a guy and you live under a rock, you might have missed that Brooklyn Decker is this years Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover girl, officially giving her one more SI cover than her husband. Ouch.
  • I hope those people enjoyed their flight to Vancouver.
  • Excuse me? A what mating with a what? I do not think any drug testing is necessary for that guy.
  • Why God, why?
  • The Cincinnati Probation Officers are having a productive off-season.
  • The Colts forgot to bring protection with them to Miami, at least according to their boss.
  • In case you have trouble understanding Payton Manning's faces, here is a complete guide for you.
  • Like the rest of the world, NCAA looks to ensure no one gets hurt feelings; looks to tackle boo-boos next.
  • Of course, they are just bitter that the gravy train might not be so full in the near future.
  • Screamin' A.'s arrogance never ceases to amaze me.
  • Man who secretly videotaped Erin Andrews in the nude in her hotel room upgraded from "amateur stalker" to "professional nut job".
Oh man, it looks like it is going to be a busy two weeks. Just look at Saturday alone. Medals are up from grabs in alpine skiing, freestyle skiing, ski jumping, short-track and long-track speedskating, and . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . the BIATHLON! Great, just what we need, manish-looking women armed and loaded the day before Valentine's Day. Who thought that was a good idea? You know what I think is a good idea? You enjoying these video clips we have collected for your viewing pleasure:
Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: