Friday, June 04, 2010

Running on Empty

[Editor's Note: In support of the Chief's half marathon training, we have decided all Link Dump titles will be running related, usually drawing inspiration from movies or song. Also, training seems to be going pretty well for the Big Guy. You track his progress over there to right . . . now down a little . . . to the right . . . there you go.]

So, we ended up taking an unexcused absence last week on account of Memorial Day weekend and some trouble with the "standard" maintenance my car went in for last Thursday. Long story short, it looked for a brief moment like I was going to be taking the dealer's loaner car to Palm Springs for "Sausagefest 2010", but they got it done in time. And, yes, we dropped the ball by not even getting you at least a little eye candy to make, what I am sure was, a short Friday at the office even better (As a token of my goodwill, I present to you a gift: these two droids).

Before we get to the goods (other than the ones we just gave you), the staff here at GameTime, TBD© would like to send out our thoughts and prayers to the Wooden family. As I am sure you all know by now, "The Wizard of Westwood" was recently admitted to the UCLA Medical Center. Most people wonder how I became such a big fan of UCLA since I did not go there and did not have an family go there until much later in life (when my sister married a Bruin and my Better Half went to grad school). Well, as a young basketball fan growing up in Southern California whose only NBA allegiance was to a team playing thousands of miles away (the Pistons), it was pretty easy to learn to love UCLA basketball and the great tradition of the program created by Wooden. I have printed his pyramid of success more than a few times and refer to it often. I can still pick up my (personally-signed) copy of A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court, read a chapter or two, and instantly feel motivated to be the best I can be. If you have not seen the documentary on Wooden's time at UCLA, The UCLA Dynasty [
Editor's Note: no, we do not own shares of Amazon.com], do yourself a favor and pick up a copy and check it out. The man truly was, is, and always will be the greatest coach in the history of sports. So, Coach, we are pulling for you. Get well soon. After all, Steve Lavin will probably need some advice on how to actually coach a basketball team. Who else will he be able to call?

Well, it certainly is not our intention to bum anyone out on a Friday. So we feel it is only appropriate to find the best, most entertaining stories from the past week or so to help get you through the rest of your Friday. What is that you say? You would not mind some more attractive ladies? Well, I think we can accommodate that:
  • We start with a small request: help us get some GameTime, TBD© buzz going. We would like to retire sooner rather than later.
  • If England seems a little tense during its opening match against the United States next week, I think we will all know why. In related news, Abigail Clancy--fiancee to English striker Peter Crouch--is hot.
  • Surprise, surprise. No one likes the new ball designed specially for the World Cup.
  • Even Brazilian sex workers are trying to cash in on the World Cup craze (no, we are not talking about that . . . get your mind out of the gutter).
  • Apparently we all need to be paying a little more attention to women's tennis . . .
  • . . . and the Women's College World Series.
  • So you got robbed by a couple "professional" ladies, what is the big deal? Oh, I see.
  • The Florida Marlins cordially invite you to a game that already happened.
  • Apparently steroids do not have as great of affect on the player's ability to go deep as we thought. And, yes, cropping that photo was totally uncalled for by Yahoo!. Allow us to correct their mistake.
  • As much as I dislike the San Francisco Giants, I do love me a good, funny Tim Lincecum story.
  • I actually strongly disagree with this man's suggestion. Believe it or not, they do actually hate each other that much.
  • As if the sport of cycling was not enough of a joke already.
  • The pussification of youth sports continues.
I actually have a lot to say on that last topic, and it is something we plan on addressing in the upcoming weeks. First, we have to get the Chief [Editor's note: *insert sheepish grin and shoulder shrug here*] to finish up the Kings year-in-review piece he has been writing, re-writing, and re-re-writing for the past few weeks. So, while we go lecture him on the art of closing [Editor's note: which I, myself, did not master until I met my Better Half], here are some videos for you all to enjoy on this fine Friday:
  • Today does feel like it is going to be a great day, but probably not for the same reason as his. . . .
  • . . . I think it has more to do with this.
  • I sincerely hope you bit the bullet and proposed to your better half before this video hit "the net". If not, sucks to be you . . . or, do whatever you can to make sure she never learns of its existence . . . but let us be honest, twenty of her girlfriends have already forwarded it to her saying something like, "he's made you wait 5 years, so he better do something like this." Yes, my friend, you. are. screwed.
  • "This is why women aren't in charge of sports." Yikes.
  • I wonder how many drinks it took to get this guy to go all Dukes of Hazard on his way out of the airport.
  • We close with the greatest (cover band) drummer ever. EVER.
Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: