Friday, September 05, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Check . . . check . . . check 1. Sibilance . . . sibilance. Check . . . check . . . check 2. Sibilance . . . sibilance. Okay, good. It looks like we have everything back up and running. It is good to be back in the saddle of GameTime, TBD©. I apologize that I had to go dark for such an extended period of time.

I was finally able to make an honest woman out of my Better Half and what does she do? That is right, she "forces" me to go off and spend two weeks with her in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea, and Huahine). Oh, the humanity. I do not know how I survived two weeks of lounging around in the sun with a beautiful woman, drinking beer, without a care in the world. Oh, and my wife was there too (sorry for the obvious joke, I'm a little rusty). French Polynesia is truly a beautiful place; we did not want to leave. Take my advice, if you are planning a vacation and want to go someplace tropical, you can not go wrong with the Society Islands.

So after two great weeks, I was relaxed and in a good place physically, mentally, and emotionally, and I was ready to get back to my responsibilities to you, the avid GameTime, TBD© reader. Well, unfortunately it only took work about .01 seconds to knock those good vibes right out of me, a feeling I know to which Milorad Cavic can totally relate. I never realized how much work can pile up on a desk in two weeks. And while I still have a few piles to get to, I was not going to let work keep me from finally getting back to something I love so much: GameTime, TBD© and its weekly link dump. Sure, I might have taken a little detour to the UCLA-Tennessee game; had a chance encounter with my hero, Dan Patrick (I haven't washed my right hand since Monday); sat through two fantasy football drafts; and made a few wagers on college foo . . . err . . . I mean . . . found a source of supplemental income, but here I am, back in the saddle and ready to let you know about some of the things you might have missed over the past week:

[Disclaimer: with the start of college football and the NFL, all of this week's links are related to football, and I'm not talking about that strange style of football they play in Europe.]
  • In preparing for the Detroit Lions' season, I discovered that things might be looking up . . .
  • . . . but then I remembered that Matt Millen is still our team president . . .
  • . . . and our new runningback's underwear was stolen by the guy he is replacing. Oh the joys of being a Lions fan.
  • FanIQ dares to ask the question: which cheerleaders are better, NCAA or NFL? (Though I question FanIQ's choice of the USC Song Girls as California's representative as opposed to GameTime, TBD© favorite Brianna and the UCLA cheerleaders.)
  • Under the category of "shocking", Tennessee fans are not too pleased with phat Phil.
  • Two stadiums, eight miles apart; its a fifty-fifty chance that the skydivers pick the right stadium. Let us see how it turns out.
  • I used to idolize The Sports Guy; he is after all the reason I started this blog. But then he kind of got too big for himself and lost touch with who he really is. It is nice to see him return to form, if but only for a minute, in his NFL predictions.
  • And what would football season be without mentioning Ryan Leaf? After reading this article ask yourself this: do I feel better about Ryan Leaf or sorry for myself?
As for your viewing entertainment, I am taking a risk and blending sports with politics. Okay, I guess it is not really a risk since sports and politics have mixed well for many years now. So, in honor of my party choosing a former-sportscaster as its vice-presidential candidate, here are some great moments in sportscasting history, with a little weather mixed in for fun:
  • There is a theory that, in this day-and-age, once something is put on the internet it can never be completely destroyed. Therefore, my sincerest apologies to the Republican Party; try as you might, this Sarah Palin sportscast is not going anywhere. And trust me when I say, we are all better off because of it.
  • Somewhere my Better Half is laughing because she knows I probably would have reacted the same way.
  • Your first time never goes the way you dreamed it would.
  • Brian Collins would like to remind you that "Boom Goes the Dynamite".
It really is good to be back. We will get the ball rolling on some new original content here shortly. In the meantime, have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: